Beat Therapy’s program at Ashland Elementary School aims to foster confidence in young people to be musicians beyond the traditional, professional sense. Through music we create a social environment where kids learn to express emotions, work as a team, practice creativity, and pursue curiosity, all while building relationships among each other and with volunteers.
We have developed a curriculum that uses various activities involving music and other art forms to reach our goals. Some examples of lesson plans include:
- Drawing pictures of thoughts and feelings provoked by songs
- Practicing “I feel” statements through song
- Identifying emotions expressed in songs and how they correlate to various aspects of music (dynamics, mode, articulation, tempo etc.)
- Group songwriting and performance
- Rhythm circles
- Household objects band
- Wash U student group performances
Diversity and Inclusion
- Cultural music bingo
- Civil Rights lesson through protest songs
This program requires a weekly commitment at a time TBD.