LIVE Response to Title Mine
The Title Mine rally last week exposed many flaws in the response to sexual assault and partner violence at Washington University. In light of Title Mine’s demands calling for increased transparency and accountability to the student body, we want to contribute by evaluating our own efforts and identifying areas of growth. As a peer education and awareness group within both Student Union and the RSVP Center, Leaders in Interpersonal Violence Education (LIVE) must continually improve the way we facilitate dialogue on campus and address the vast range of experiences in this community. We are just one part of the efforts to end violence on campus, and we hope to work more closely with SARAH, the Center for Diversity and Inclusion, and the Title Mine movement in the future.
Following the structure of the Title Mine demands, we will:
- Institute a trauma-informed and culturally-informed internal training for all LIVE members, centering the experiences of marginalized and disenfranchised communities on campus.
- Hold community discussions pertaining to current events on our campus, locally, nationally, and internationally starting next semester. We want to create a space for students to have conversations and build community as we work towards prevention.
- Work with Student Union to improve communication about the Title IX process and campus resources for students next semester.
- Starting immediately and continuing next semester, increase the diversity of LIVE members and programming to be more representative of the student body by actively reaching out and collaborating with a wide array of individuals and student groups.
- Create systems to collect data on our programs to ensure that our facilitations are effective and meaningful to the students we serve. We will also collect feedback on our facilitators to identify and correct areas of growth.
This is just the beginning of the conversation. We would love to talk more about this with anyone who’s interested. Feel free to email us at moc.l1537397084iamg@1537397084uhsaw1537397084evil1537397084. If you have ideas that you’d rather submit anonymously, please let us know here.