Hello Presidents and Treasurers,
I hope you all had a restful Thanksgiving break and are ready for the final stretch of classes! Here are some important Student Union updates for you as the semester draws to a close:
- Financial Focus Group Open Forum (11/30)
- Student Group Dinners with Administrators
- Student Union Office Survey
- SU Senate Health & Wellness Survey
- Reading Week at the DUC
- End of Semester Dates
Financial Focus Group Open Forum:
The Student Union Financial Focus group has been working to make improvements to SU’s financial policies/structures/rules and would love your thoughts and opinions on what you would like to see changed. We will be hosting an open forum this Friday, November 30th from 2-3:30PM in DUC 233, to listen to your concerns and talk through what you would like to see Student Union improve on, as it relates to our financial realm. Feel free to let me know if you have any questions/comments.
Student Group Dinners with Administrators:
Senate’s Outreach Committee is organizing small dinners with administrators to connect you and your student group directly with the administrators you want to talk to. Fill out this form to indicate which administrator you and the leadership of your group would like to have conversations with. Please direct any questions to Senate Outreach Committee Chair, Sophie Scott, at ude.l1545006874tsuw.1545006874us@hc1545006874aertu1545006874o1545006874.
Student Union Office Survey:
SU wants to know what resources student groups want in the SU Office including office supplies, equipment, even how we organize our office furniture. If you’ve ever come into the office asking “Does the SU Office have _____?” and the answer was no, please fill out this survey so we know how we can better support you!
SU Senate Health & Wellness Survey
Have opinions about the state of health and wellness services on campus? Fill out this 5 minute survey to identify concerns with WashU’s current wellness services including Habif Health and Wellness Center, Cornerstone, Office of Student Success, the Relationship and Sexual Violence Prevention Center, and others.
End of Semester Dates:
- November 24 and 25- Paint room closed
- November 30 – Think about your winter location and where your checks should be mailed
- November 30 – Last day to use any SU credit card
- December 8 – 9 – Last day to paint the underpass
- December 9- Last day to program during the Fall semester
- December 10 – 19- Programming only allowed with Reading and Finals Week Exception (request an exception using this form)
- December 10 – Last day to submit request forms and carryforward requests
- December 14 – January 14 – No money can be spent through SU Finance or SU processes – reimbursements only and can be processed after January 14
- Deposit all cash and checks before you leave for the winter break.
- Check your email and “my pending requests” in SU Finance for returned/rejected request forms daily.
- Fill out request forms for: meeting spaces, WFF, Bon Appetit, Facilities, mailings, etc.
- The deadline to turn in request forms is within 14 days of purchase. This policy is being enforced and any reimbursements that fail to meet this deadline will not be processed.
- The last day to turn in any pending Expense Request Forms is December 10, 2018.
- Groups cannot reserve rooms through their student groups for personal use, only for their student group’s events
Carryforward requests only apply to the following allocated accounts: operating, appeals and
revenue. Fundraising and gifts accounts automatically carried forward to the next semester.
Carryforward requests are made for funds that are not spent for a reason outside of the group’s control or appeals that were granted in the winter that need to be spent in the spring semester. Requests will be granted on a case-by-case basis by the VP of Finance and SU Business Manager. Examples of requests may include speaker cancellations, vendors not sending bills in a timely matter and/or weather related circumstances. These are exceptions and your group should not depend on these requests to be granted. Funds should be spent during the semester during which they were allocated. The deadline to submit carry forward requests is December 10th.
To request a carryforward, please follow these steps:
- Go to SU Finance
- Fill out a request form
- Select type of request
- Carry forward request
- In the description please explain, in detail, the reason your group is requesting this carryforward
- Select requested amount
- Enter the amount of funds requested to be carried forward in the correct account
For groups that submit a carryforward request, the president and treasurer listed in SU Finance can expect an email by January 3, 2019 with the decision about the carryforward request.
Access to Your Student Group Accounts:
Student group accounts will be closed on December 14, 2018. After this time, you will be unable to submit request forms. Accounts will become available for the spring semester after January 14th. If your group is traveling over the break and needs access to your account, please make arrangements with your assigned business coordinator. Students will not have access to SU Finance from December 14, 2018 to January 14, 2019.
Last Day to Program:
The Last Day to Program for the fall semester is Sunday, December 9th. We ask that groups not program during reading and finals weeks. The Last Day to Program rule helps to ensure that students take a break from their student group activities to focus on studying for exams. Groups may request an exception for reading/finals week by filling out this request form on WUGO. Exceptions are made for study-break type events with minimal planning involved. If missing the event will negatively impact members in any way, the event will not be approved.
Reading Week at the DUC:
Campus Life is here to help you read well and be well as you prepare for Finals Week. Stay tuned for more information on what will be happening in the DUC for Reading Week 2018!
Feel free to let me know if you have questions about any of this!