WASHINGTON UNIVERSITY IN ST. LOUIS STUDENT UNION SENATE MEETING
DATE CONVENED // April 14th, 2020
LOCATION // Zoom
RECORDING SECRETARY // SENATOR Matthew K Kim
TIME CONVENED // 8:00pm — Speaker Gaby Smith Calls to Order
|AGENDA 4/14/2020Senate SessionUpdatesSAF Update and Discussion Surrounding Form OptionsImprove WashU presentation and discussionDiscussion about the fallOpen ForumExec and Advisor UpdatesSenate Snapz|
- Came to the conclusion that we are going to get out some form of all school email to get student opinions of what they think how the activities fee should be used
- 3 survey types: quantitative survey, qualitative survey, combined model
- Nicole: concern with “select as many as you like” = not able to rank in order of preference. Will not be able to pick favorite option
- Adin: liked the combined one. Students are going to be intimidated with the survey. Need it to be more simple, or can look like a ranking thing to make it easier for students. Sliders are a lot.
- Adam: Quantitative model, people will not know what to do it. Huge proponent to the combined model
- Adin: With results of the survey, are we going to take the results and do exactly what the results say? To what extent does the survey dictate our actions?
- Gaby: if we end up doing a quantitative model, will try to follow the percentage as close as possible; made a combined model because of this issue
- Nicole: Google form for student concern forms have not been utilized; change it to an open textbox to show that we actually hear students’ voices.
- Amaan: with regards with open textbox with Covid, we can’t allow them to rant about everything on the basis of “we are going to fix everything;” have to ask good questions
- Sophie: How do we act on the results of the surveys?
- Kem: Wonder what we could do feasibly with the results of the surveys instead of just saying “we got it.”
- Adin: feel cautioned with the survey. Not sure how many students would be willing to fill the survey. Should not make a decision about what to do with the survey beforehand.
- Gaby: depends on what the interpretation requesting says.
- Anne: think osa can bring a good perspective in how to distribute
- Gaby: limit surveys to make it more effective in the future
Election Commissioner Confirmation
- Madhulika Kastury was confirmed in a 13-0-0 vote
- Turn slack notifications on
- Senate outreach wednesday at 8 CDT
- Joint session next week