- Fill out a request form requesting a Bear Bucks reader online at sufinance.wustl.edu. Make sure that this request is sent in no later than 2 days before the event. Weekend reservations must be made by the previous Wednesday. NO EXCEPTIONS AND NO RESERVATIONS GIVEN THE DAY OF.
Lopata LocationUrsas LocationsMallinckrodt LocationsBear’s Den LocationsGraham Chapel LocationDanforth University Center Locations
- You must declare EXACTLY how much you are charging for each item and only charge that amount. After the reservation is made, this price may not be changed.
- You must declare the location you wish to use the machine. Below you can find an image based list of locations and where the outlets are in each location. Click on the images to find out where the correct outlets are.
- Note that we also have an option for offline Bear Bucks readers which you can use anywhere. However only five of these may be used at a given time and there are disadvantages of choosing an offline reader. As the reader will be run offline it can’t check the student’s Bear Bucks account to see if they have enough money in their account, meaning that if the student has insufficient funds in their account there is no way of knowing until its too late. If a SU group chooses to run a card reader off-line, SU is not responsible for any transactions charged to cards with insufficient funds. All risk of lost revenue is assumed by the student group. It is not recommended to use the offline reader for expensive sales. Also, offline readers MAY NOT BE SHARED.
- Groups will be held responsible for damaged or lost equipment, and funds will be withdrawn from their fundraising or gift account.The cost to replace a card reader is $2,800.
- Pick up Bear Bucks reader directly from an SU Business Coordinator on the second floor of the Student Union office Monday-Friday by 4:30 pm. For a weekend reservation, card readers must be picked up by Friday at 4.30 pm.
- Set up your card reader – you will need both a power outlet and an internet outlet. For locations with both of these refer to the Reader Reservations and Locations tab. Make sure you are connecting to an internet outlet that either says campus card or epic only.
- Use the card reader :
- Hit the CLEAR button to make sure that any previous sale is removed.
- Make sure that the card reader displays “ONLINE” unless you are using one of the offline readers in which case it will always say “OFFLINE” and you will simply assume the risk of incurring expenses in case an indivdual is charged while having insufficient funds in their account.
- Press the “SALE” button then type in the dollar amount and hit “ENTER.”
- Press #1 for Bear Bucks, the screen should display “Swipe or enter ID.” The “A” side of the Bear Bucks card needs to be facing down with the picture toward the screen.
- If sale goes through, machine will display “OK”.
- If sale is declined, student will need to add more points before sale will be accepted.
- Hit “PRINT PLU” after swiping card and a receipt will print. To provide a duplicate receipt for student/staff, hit “PRINT PLU” again. Retain the merchant copy of each receipt and place all receipts in the manilla envelope labeled “Bear Bucks Receipts”
- Do not put your cash in with the Bear Buck receipts, hold onto the cash and give it to your treasurer to deposit into your student group’s account.
- PLEASE MAKE SURE THAT YOUR STUDENT GROUP ONLY CHARGES THE EXACT AMOUNTS THAT ARE RESERVED FOR YOUR SALES. FAILURE TO CHARGE THE CORRECT AMOUNT WILL RESULT IN YOUR STUDENT GROUP NOT RECEIVING CREDIT FOR YOUR SALES.
- Once the event is over, return Bear Bucks Reader and receipts to the Student Union office on the second floor, no later than 30 minutes after the end of an event. If the event ends after 5:00 pm or during the weekend return the reader by 10:00am the next business day. Student groups that are sharing readers must be accountable to one another. Failure to show up with a shared card reader at the assigned time will result in a $50 penalty payable to each group who lost sales due to your negligence. Proceeds from campus card sales are deposited into student groups’ accounts around the 16th of the month and the last day of the month.
The Bear Bucks card is your Washington University ID card which can be used to purchase tickets or merchandise being sold by Student Union groups. Student Union has nine card readers available for student groups to reserve to sell items to fellow students, University faculty or staff. They cannot be used for the following purposes: to collect donations, sell alcohol, sell home baked goods, date auctions, auctions for dinner or outings with specific persons, auctions or sales of services offered by non-professional service providers, sales of animals or for sales by outside vendors. Funds will be automatically deposited into the student group’s account.
- Only registered Student Union groups may use a Bear Bucks card reader. Student Union groups may not sponsor Non SU Groups, University departments or outside entities for use of a Bear Bucks reader.
- Each student group may check out one reader per location at a time.
- Maximum of five groups per shared reader.
- All items being sold must have a set price.
- Each group can charge a maximum of five unique prices per reader.
- Prices may not be changed once the reservation is made.
- Maximum of three off line readers are assigned per day.
- If an SU group chooses to run a card reader off-line, SU is not responsible for any transactions charged to cards with insufficient funds. All risk of lost revenue is assumed by the student group.
- Auctions will be allowed for goods or gift certificates issued by professional service providers only.
- Card readers must never be left unattended for any reason.
- Group must have a trained operator at all times.
- Student groups will be held responsible for damaged or lost equipment, and funds will be withdrawn from their fundraising or gift account. The cost to replace a card reader is $2,800.
- Card readers must be picked up directly from a Student Union Business Coordinator on the second floor, Monday through Friday by 4:30 pm. For a weekend reservation, card readers must be picked up by Friday at 4.30 pm.
- Readers must be returned to the Student Union office on the second floor, no later than 30 minutes after the end of an event, unless it is after 4:30 pm or over the weekend. Readers must be returned by 10:00 am the next business day.
- Printed sales receipts are required for all Bear Bucks transactions. Failure to turn in receipts with the card reader may result in lost sales revenue for your group.
- Student groups who are sharing readers must be accountable to one another. Failure to show up with a shared card reader at the assigned time will result in a $50 penalty payable for each group who lost sales due to your negligence.
- Student group sales are subject to Missouri sales tax laws.
- Student groups are subject to a 2% university surcharge.
- Proceeds from campus card sales are deposited into student groups’ accounts around the 16th of the month and the last day of the month.
- Reservations must be made at least two business days in advance. Weekend reservations must be made by the previous Wednesday. NO EXCEPTIONS and NO RESERVATIONS GIVEN THE SAME DAY.
- All reservation requests must be received on-line and are subject to approval by an SU professional staff member.
- If it is determined that any group member has violated rules, or misrepresented the intended use of the card reader, all funds will be returned to card holders, Bear Bucks card privileges will be revoked for one full semester, and the group may be subject to judicial review.
Schedule of Fines:
- Late Return: $25 for first 30 minutes to one hour. An additional $25 will be charged per hour after up to $100.
- Second Offense: An additional $25 will be added on top of the normal late fee
- Pricing Error Fine: If ANY group member fails to stick to pre-set pricing, a fine of at least $10 will be applied, and your group is subject to loss of all sales which cannot be verified.
- If any group fails to use the reader at an approved location a of fine $50 will be applied and your group is subject to the loss of sales that could not be verified. (If you reserve an outside location and the weather is severe you must see a Business Coordinator for relocation. This will be a the descretion of SU professional staff.)
- Inconvenience to another group: If your late return inconveniences another group who needs to pick-up the card reader, your group will be charged an additional $25 per group.
- Misrepresentation of Sales: Groups who misrepresent Bear Bucks reader sales in any way are subject to a $100 fine, possible loss of all revenue and/or suspension of card reader privileges. This includes but is not limited to selling items prohibited by SU policy* or selling tickets, goods or services of outside entities or non SU groups.
- Readers left unattended will be subject to a $100 fine and privileges will be suspended for one semester. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Card Reader: $2,800 Extension Cord: $25
- Power Cord: $35 Storage Box: $10
- Data Line: $25
If your group has incurred a card reader fine, all future reservations are dependent on the availability of group fundraising or gift funds sufficient to cover all possible future fines.
*The Bear Bucks Reader cannot be used for the following purposes: A liquor license is required for alcohol sales. The sale of home baked goods is regulated by the MO Dept. of Health. Auctions will be allowed for goods or gift certificates issued by professional service providers only. You cannot sell living things. Use of reader and machines is reserved for use by Washington University Student Union groups only.