Stuff to know before making a reservation for the Credit Card Reader
Machines must be reserved on-line at sufinance.wustl.edu two business days in advance and picked up directly from a Student Union Business Coordinator on the second floor Monday through Friday by 4:30 pm. For a weekend reservation, machine must be reserved by Wednesday and picked up by Friday at 4:30pm. NO EXCEPTIONS and NO RESERVATIONS GIVEN THE DAY OF.
When reserving you must indicate a set price for all items being sold and only charge the indicated amounts. Unlike the Bear Bucks reader the location isn’t as important because the machines are wireless and can be operated anywhere within Sprint cell service areas.
Only registered Student Union groups may use a credit card machine. SU groups may not sponsor Non SU Groups, University departments or outside entities for use of the machines. Sharing a machine is not allowed. Only one group at a time will be allowed to use each machine and there are 3 credit card machines for check out. Each machine may be checked out only once per day.
Credit card machine must be returned to a Business Coordinator on the second floor in the Student Union office no later than 10 am the next business day.
How to use the machine:
- Turn it on: press and hold the green key for 3 to 5 seconds. This also takes it out of “sleep” mode if the machine times out.
- Select F2: for “Elevon” to ready machine to run sales.
- * Ask the cardholder to show their ID, and match to name on the card.
- Slide Card: follow prompts.
- Follow Prompts: you may be asked to type the last four digits of the card or the three digit code from the back of the card, enter.
- Type In: the amount $, then enter
- A receipt will print. Press “yes” to print a duplicate for the customer.
Every receipt must be signed by the cardholder. Every signed receipt must be turned into a business coordinator at the time the machine is returned. Use the envelop provided to collect receipts. Don’t mix cash and receipts.
How to void a sale:
- Select the “more” key: on the upper left side of the key pad.
- Select F3: for “VOID” (if “void” does not appear next to F3, press the red “clear” key at the bottom left several times and then the “more” key again.
- Select “yes” to void the previous sale. A void receipt will print.
- Ask the cusotmer to sign your copy and retain it with all of your receipts in the envelope prvoided.
- If you are voiding a sale that occurred earlier the same day, select “no” and follow the prompts. You will need to swipe the card that was used for the original sale.
- You cannot void a sale that occurred on a prior day. See a business coordinator with questions.
- Every receipt must be signed by cardholder. Every signed receipt must be turned in to a business coordinator at time the machine is returned. Use the envelop provided to collect receipts.
The credit card machine cannot be used for the following purposes:
- to collect donations
- to sell alcohol
- to sell home baked goods
- for date auctions
- auctions for dinner or outings with specific persons
- auctions or sales of services offered by non-professional service providers
- sales of animals or for sales by outside vendors
More to know:
Funds will be automatically deposited into the student group’s account. Revenue will be deposited directly to your SU group account. A 2-3% credit card fee is applied to all sales. All sales are subject to Missouri Sales Tax Law. Applicable taxes and fees will be automatically deducted from your sales revenues.
- Never electronically store cardholder data.
- Never accept payment via Email. Tell the customer the other ways of submitting
payment, NEVER process the transaction until they submit via the proper
- If you must write down the credit card information, keep it in a locked, secure
place until it can be processed, then the paper needs to be destroyed
immediately by shredding, pulping or incineration.
- Never store any of the following information in any format; Magnetic Stripe,
CVC2/CVV2/CID, PIN Number.
- Credit card machine must be returned to a Business Coordinator on the second
floor in the Student Union office no later than 10 am the next business day.
- The machines are wireless and can be operated anywhere within Sprint cell
- All items being sold must have a set price.
- Cardholders must be asked to show identification for each credit card
- A signed receipt must be turned in for every transaction processed on the credit
- Sharing a machine is not allowed. Only one group at a time will be allowed to
use each machine.
- Each machine may be checked out only once per day.
- Group must have a trained operator at all times.
- Credit card proceeds will be deposited into group account within two weeks of
- Machines must never be left unattended for any reason. Groups will be
responsible for the safekeeping of the machine and supplies. The cost per
machine is $850. Lost or damaged machines will be charged to the group’s
Fundraising or Gift account.
- Late Return: $25 for first 30 minutes to one hour. An additional $25 will be
charged per hour late, up to $100.
- Second Offense: An additional $25 will be added on top of normal late fees
- Inconvenience to another group: If the late return inconveniences another group
who needs to pick-up the credit card machine, your group will be charged an
- Misrepresentation of Sales: Groups who misrepresent credit card sales in any
way are subject to a $100 fine, possible loss of all revenue and/or suspension of
credit card machine privileges. This includes but is not limited to selling items
prohibited by SU policy or selling tickets, goods or services of outside entities or
non SU groups.
- Machines left unattended will be subject to a $100 fine and privileges will be
suspended for one semester. NO EXCEPTIONS.
- Credit Card Machine: $850
- Spare Battery: $100
- Equipment Cover: $95
- Storage Box: $10
- Spare Charger: $100
If your group has incurred a credit card machine fine, all future reservations are
dependent on the availability of group fundraising or gift funds sufficient to cover all
possible future fines.